Tuesday 12 April 2011

Recipe corner - Gnocchi and butternut squash with chilli, garlic and sage

This post was supposed to be about fish and fruit. But that will have to wait for another day because last night's tea needs to be recorded for posterity (and, hopefully, your delight and delectation.)



I really wish that I could take credit for it but nope, it is all D's work. I just stood on the sidelines warning him to watch the butter content. Then took one of my trademark Pollockesque food photos.

It was absolutely yummy - so much so that the other half of the gnocchi has already been earmarked for a repeat performance.

Ingredients

Butternut squash, peeled and chopped
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 red chilli, finely diced
2 tsp chilli flakes
salt and pepper
250g gnocchi
50g butter
8-10 sage leave - finely sliced
10g Parmesan cheese

Serves 2, 11 pro points per portion

NB: The cooking times below were for pieces of squash about 1cm cubed, but feel free to go chunkier if you wish, just adjust timings accordingly.

Toss the diced squash in two cloves of crushed garlic, the diced chilli and half the chilli flakes along with plenty of seasoning. Roast in a 140 oven for about an hour - you want it soft but not on the verge of disintegration.

Blitz half of the squash pieces.

Bring a pan of salted water to the boil, add the gnocchi and boil for 3 minutes. You'll know they're ready when they float to the top of the pan.

Meanwhile, finely slice the final clove of garlic. Melt the butter until foaming, and then throw in the garlic pieces for a scant ten seconds. Add the blitzed squash sprinkle with the other tsp chilli flakes and fry for one minute before adding the sage leaves and the roasted squash cubes. Cook through for another couple of minutes.

Drain the gnocchi and put into two bowls. Divide the squash mixture between them and toss a little to combine. Finish with the grated Parmesan.

Serve with a fork and a smile

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

  1. Damn you! I'm sitting at my desk, woebegone at having been here without a break since 9am with no prospect of leaving and absolutely starving. And that looks SO good...

    Px

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Gnocchi so much! It tastes so great. I hadn't heard og Gnocchi before 2011 but now I am obsessed with it and probably have it at least once a week.

    I will definitely be giving this a go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just recently had the first gnocchi dish that I liked, so I have been encouraged to try others. This one looks so good, it's just got to be done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear god, I typed an essay and then it deleted it all. One more try.

    Brazilian blow dry - I've had it done for 2 years. The first two times I paid full price but thereafter you can pretty much always get a deal through Groupon or Wahanda.

    It lasts 3 months if you look after it - this means using sulfite free shampoo (check the ingredient list - Nak'd doesn't use it, it's a foamer). Conditioner doesn't matter and you won't need a hair masque or whatever because it leaves your hair in such brilliant condition. It does take some of the body away but although I have v fine limp hair, I find the sheeny-shiny slipperiness more than compensates.

    So, it takes about 2 hours and you can't wash your hair for 2 days afterwards - because the product is sealed in by the 2nd day it will feel rank but persevere! You also cannot tie it back, push it behind your ears, wear a hat or put sunglasses on your head. And you absolutely cannot get it wet - carry a brolly regardless of the weather forecast.

    It makes your hair smooth, shiny and in great condition. It does not however mean you can wash it and leave it and expect it to be perfect. But if you dry it and run irons over it briefly it will stay like that irrespective of humidity, drizzle or anything else - probably including nuclear war although I obviously haven't tested that! You can have it with curly hair and it will just make your curls softer and sleeker - or you iron your hair straight (why? I LOVE curls) and it will stay like that.

    It is addictive - and you will spot it on various celebs too. When there was all the media gushing over Kate M's hair, I knew EXACTLY why it was so shiny!

    Let me know if you have any more questions!

    Px

    ReplyDelete