Thursday 25 August 2011

Home and Away

I’m back from the wilderness. That is to say, back from a week and a half at a training centre in the back of beyond (well, a couple of miles outside of Lincoln). My weight has remained steady, even dropped a little, despite the best attempts of the canteen staff to feed me and every other poor soul there into submission.

I’ve been trying to put my finger on exactly what it is that distinguishes my eating habits in my home environment; that is to say, why is it that when three three-course meals a day are on offer plus mid morning and afternoon coffee and biscuits I lose a lot of interest in food and just naturally find myself eating more intuitively. I eat what I want of what is available but don’t feel the need to clear my plate, or choose something because it is “good” or “bad”. If I’m hungry at three o clock then I’ll have a biscuit with my coffee, if I’m not then I won’t.

Like many lifetime dieters I normally have two states of being: on-a-diet and not-on-a-diet. The first means strictness, order, control. The second is the exact antithesis of that. Consuming with abandon. Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die(t). Being away from home for a prolonged amount of time, in a situation where much of the control and choice is removed, I have managed to achieve something between the two.

Which is all well and good, but how do I now translate that back to the home environment?

1 comment:

  1. Oh god - you know, I find the exact same thing; travelling for a month last year, and eating out at 98% of the meals, and I just started making more balanced choices. And if I'd had a richer couple of days and was feeling it, I'd just automatically follow up with a lighter couple of days. Maybe it's too much choice and availability, and we can't help but fight it? Good work though! x

    ReplyDelete