Monday 20 January 2014

MPM: 20th January 2014

It's the start of the week so it must be time for...


Yes, another Monday has rolled around. Why are weekends so short? Mind you, complaining seems churlish when I had a particularly nice one. I finally got to see my future second husband (professionally known as David Tennant) on stage and very wonderful he was too, although I was unsure about certain aspects of the production (Richard II at the Barbican for the theatre lovers among you). And, after all of the faux medieval excitement, it was home to an absolutely beautiful confit duck leg (thank you, D) and a day of watching Breaking Bad, barely moving from the sofa.

There are currently two separate threads to our meal planning. The first is that the freezer needs a defrost, so I need to try and base as many meals as possible around the contents. This may involve doing a full inventory at some point. What it may not involve is any particular interest or creativity. The second is that we are planning to cook a New York inspired menu for my parents in February and some of the dishes will need practice runs, so may well be popping up over the next couple of weeks.

This week:

Fresh soup (this seems to be appearing a lot of my recent meal plans and it doesn’t make for the most interesting reading, I know, but we just happen to really like fresh soup)

Chicken fajitas (chicken breast and wraps from the freezer, refried beans from the store cupboard)

Spag bol (mince from the freezer)

Corned beef stew (last of our homemade corned beef from the freezer – although fear not, D will be working his magic on a new brisket soon)

Haggis, neeps and tatties with caramelised onion gravy (it’s Burns Night this week!)

Surprise tatin” from Yotam Ottolenghi’s “Plenty”

More meal planning fun over at Mrs M’s.

3 comments:

  1. Oh I had forgotten about the Haggis!!! Hubby will be disapointed better go shopping! Sounds lovely! #MealPlanningMonday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love soup too but hardly ever make it. You have just reminded me to make some Lentil soup as I quite fancy that now :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh yum! Corned beef stew!!
    Everything sounds fab x

    ReplyDelete