Sunday 8 June 2014

Of scales and sunshine (or lack thereof)

Previously on WWF: --54.3lbs
This week: +2.9lbs
Total loss: 51.4lbs

Just as last week's loss wasn't really earned, so this week's gain wasn't really justified.  I think the gods of the scales are just having sport with me.  Which would be fine, but my resolve is low at the moment and I am really, really struggling.

Don't get me wrong, I have no intention of quitting, I just have to grit my teeth and accept that the upping and downing might continue for the next few weeks while I concentrate on having more good days than bad.

I'll get there - it just irks me that sometimes it feels like the easiest thing in the world and sometimes it is a constant battle and I don't always understand why.

Speaking of that though, I have recently been offered a possible solution for the fatigue and general meh-ness I've been experiencing the last few weeks; a blood test showed up that I am severely deficient in Vitamin D.  This is apparently very common in this country and is easily fixed but it can make you feel tired and low and full of vague aches and pains.  I have a six month super strength prescription and to get my levels back up to normal, after which time it will just be a case of making sure I remember to take a standard multi vitamin.  I only mention it because, reading up on it after the doctor's appointment, I came across an NHS article that mentioned vitamin D deficiency can be linked to excess weight.  Often, I think, overweight people are quite prone to doctor avoidance, which might be another reason that it doesn't get picked up that often.  But it could be worthwhile, if any of those symptoms sounds familiar, going and requesting a test. Other sources of vitamin D include sunshine (ha!) and oily fish, so next week I will mostly be trying to get outside more (if the lowering clouds ever lift) and having pilchards on toast for lunch (yum!)

No comments:

Post a Comment