Friday 15 August 2014

Whither Weight Watchers?

When I made this rather plaintive little post last week I got a text from my mother shortly afterwards telling me in no uncertain terms to stop with the excuses.  Which I thought was a little harsh at the time, but there is no denying that at some point you have to look at all the reasons you have got not to to do something and decide whether they are more important than the reasons you have to do it.  If the latter out weights the former, then perhaps what you are looking at are, in fact, just excuses masquerading as reasons.

Wow, that was a very confuddled paragraph.  Apologies.  I hope you get the drift.

Anyway.  I have spent most of my adult life - and certainly the life of this little blog expending a lot of time and energy over reasons why I can't (or won't) lose weight.

It is not down to whether or not Weight Watchers works - all healthy eating plans work, after a fashion, if you do them properly.

It is down to whether I work.  And, sometimes, I don't.  Actually, often I don't, which is why, from a weight loss point of view this blog occasionally reads like an annoying litany of failure.  Now, now, I'm not being maudlin or anything - I'm just saying that if anyone came across this blog because they wanted to read about someone losing weight with WW they might be disappointed.  Because the periods of success have never been long enough or sustained enough to get me where I want to go.

But that's OK, because each period of success teaches me something.  As does each period of...well, I hate to use the word failure so let's call it...deferred something or other.

It honestly doesn't matter how many new starts there are - and how many times I write a post that says I'm having another new start (although I can understand how it makes frankly annoying reading).  Because as long as I'm prepared to start again and again and again and again, eventually, maybe, one of them will be the start that gets me to the finish.

Back in March, my WW meeting closed down and so I decided to save myself a bit of money and start weighing in at home.  Since March, my overall weight loss has slowed down considerably.  Whether this would have happened anyway I don't know but, I said at the time that if it didn't work out that I would find another meeting (oh!  Hello Mr Deja Vu - welcome back!)   So, that's the plan for when I come back from Scotland (which will be...um...tomorrow if this post pops up at the right time).  I would still like to think that with a good run I have a shot of making my end of year goal.  And D will still be my head cheerleader (and, in his own mind, I don't think he'll renounce the title of Leader - he likes it too much).

7 comments:

  1. Ha! If you're anything like me, you'll work really hard for a bit, have great success or reach a mini goal, then get distracted by life for a while. After that you'll decided to get back on it, faff around for AGES trying to find the motivation and eventually get going just in time for the next goal. C'est la vie!! But I agree - whilst we're trying we're winning :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds about right...but I'm not giving up and, actually, I'm no longer going backwards in the "off" periods, so maybe there is hope... :-)

      Delete
  2. You've done amazingly well so far, so who cares if you've slowed down a little now. By all accounts slow weight loss will lower your body's natural "set point" and make it easier to stay slim, so you could consider this a tactical victory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi

    I'm not a usual poster but I understand how challenging weight loss is and I wanted to say, if it is any consolation at all, that I've been following you for about a year now and I am thoroughly impressed with your progress!

    I understand that it hasn't been as speedy as you might have wished (it rarely is!) but your progress has been incredible and it is thoroughly refreshing to see that, actually, I am quite normal in my own foray into weight loss!

    All the best for the future :)

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely comment - thank you so much Jill!

      Delete
  4. I think you're doing AMAZINGLY well and I am full of admiration for your determination, tenacity and optimism.

    Px

    ReplyDelete