Tuesday 30 June 2015

"Books. Cats. Life is good."

It's always easy to focus on the negative when, as that glorious Edward Gorey quote suggests, there is plenty to be cheerful about.

Cats, for one thing. We haven't had a Minx picture for a while, have we?

Moody
She continues to be as eccentric a creature as ever there was and a total Mummy's girl to boot which is great news for the Mummy in question - less so for D. She literally walks over him to get to me.
 
On the subject of books - or rather, adaptations of books, has anyone else been watching the adaption of "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell" on BBC1?  Fabulous stuff.  One of those series that makes you happy to hand over your license fee.  I am considering rereading the novel (which I adore) but there are so many things to read and so very little time.  One of my current favourite websites is Goodreads; I pore greedily over my personalised recommendations on an almost daily basis.  We are going to Scotland for two weeks in August and I plan to spend quite a lot of quality time with my Kindle. 
 
In other news, our strawberry plants delivered up their first fruit at the weekend.  I wish that I had taken a photograph to mark the occasion.  We ceremoniously ate one strawberry each and agreed that they actually tasted of strawberries which was a minor revelation.  The plants continue to prosper, and we may even get a bowlful to douse with sugar and cream before the summer is out - watch this space.

1 comment:

  1. I had to reply to this one! Yes there are always good things, sometimes we just have to search a little harder to find them. My Smudge has been so hot the last couple of days, I keep finding her stretched out in the shade making herself a long as possible!

    I love Goodreads, I've only just started using it as I'm trying to keep track of what I read and I'm doing a challenge. I'm currently reading A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute and really enjoying it. I've never read Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, to be honest the length has always daunted me although our book club book for the holidays is A Suitable Boy! I've bought it in three separate volumes so it's not so scary!

    I have had 3 strawberries from my plants so far! But I'm doing much better with the loganberries, I've been picking bowls and bowls of them!

    ReplyDelete