Thursday 11 February 2016

Of cabbages, kings, diets and...fried chicken

The very lovely Steph has been writing a lot recently about CBT with relation to food and eating disorders and it makes for interesting reading. I was particularly struck by what she has to say about being a WW member and how it contributed to having a wacky approach to food because it has been on my mind of late.

The holy grail of the diet world is two fold - to be a healthy weight AND to have a relaxed relationship with food. At the moment, it feels like when I am NOT following WW, but just eating in a natural, instinctive, normal way, I hit point number two. I maintain my weight without difficulty, I gravitate towards a balanced diet, my portions are sensible, my appetite regulated. The moment I start up with the pointing, that goes out of the window. Food is defined as good or bad depending on whether it fits into that day's allowance. Days are also defined as good or bad - or perhaps on or off is a better term. When you're on, it's fine, but when you're off, you spend the time in a sort of feeding frenzy, consuming all the foodstuffs you won't be able to have when you're back on, whether or not you really fancy them at this point in time.

Is this making sense to anyone but me?

The problem I have at the moment is that to be mentally healthy, I don't think following a diet plan (this sort of issue is by no means exclusive to WW) is the right thing to do. But to be in better physical health, I need to be slimmer - no two ways about it. And I don't know how to balance both. I'm trying something a bit different at the moment but I don't want to say too much until I've given it a fair shot. I'm planning to stick with it for the next six weeks (which also happens to be Lent) and assess where I'm at come Easter, at which point I will share more with you.

Right, that's that.

In other news, our quest to find the best brunch venue in Leeds may be at a premature end because I can't imagine anything beating this:


It's Korean fried chicken with wild rice, kimchi and pickled cucumber topped with a crispy fried egg and it is served at a recently opened venue called Ox Club. The menu is DREAMY. But even in the face of such delights as ricotta pancakes with honeycomb and berries, or corned beef and kale hash, both D and I had to order the chicken and neither of us could stop making yummy noises the entire time that we were eating it. The service is friendly but laid back to the point of almost comatose - I wouldn't recommend this place if you like to be in and out quickly. But if you're happy to linger over coffee (which I think is fine at brunch) then go! Eat fried chicken for breakfast! Be glad you live in such a decadent age!

6 comments:

  1. I'm with you on concepts of healthy eating and weightwatchers. I lost 3 stone with them years ago but I don't like the change in direction they've taken where food is much more good or bad than it used to be - I agree that it's not mentally healthy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - all food is fine in moderation. I hate the current attitude in general that seems to be that people who eat avocado and juice are somehow morally superior to those who like a cup of tea and a bacon sandwich. (Climbs down off soap box).

      Delete
  2. Yeeeeeess - you're talking my language ... both about brunch and the mythical healthy place where weight and a love of nice food happily co-exist without me wanting to pull my overloaded brain out of my ears. Still trying to work this one out - if I ever find the answer I'll be sure to let you know. In the meantime, I have a craving for brunch tomorrow morning ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be honest I don't think the holy grail of a slim figure & a relaxed relationship with food exists, at least not with me. I am realising that some of us have to choose one or the other...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steph - you may well be right. I'm hoping you're wrong but...

      Delete