Tuesday 17 January 2017

Much pain, no gain

When we last saw our heroine, she was looking forward to a lazy weekend resting her poorly foot (or paw as Lesley called it – I much prefer the idea of having paws to feet!)

Well, the good news is that the foot is much improved from a couple of days of very little usage. I can now walk without wincing! Hurrah!

The bad news is that I am now suffering with toothache. Ouch. I spent most of Sunday taking the strongest painkillers that D could elicit from our friendly local pharmacist and whimpering (NB: I am a terrible invalid. I am the whiniest, most trying patient you could ever hope to meet. Stoic is not my middle name). An emergency trip to the dentist yesterday afternoon ended with a prescription for anti-biotics to clear up some infection and an additional appointment, two weeks hence, for a root canal.

Colour me most unhappy.

The silver lining to this particular cloud is that I could barely eat on Sunday, and so inadvertently had another fast day which bolstered my Monday morning result. Here are the scores on the doors so far for 2017:

Week 1 loss/(gain):​​ 4.0lbs
This week loss/(gain):​​ 3.4lbs
Total​​​​: 7.4lbs

By any stretch of the imagination, that is good going. To be honest, if I could just maintain that loss this week I would be perfectly happy – it doesn’t feel quite “real” at the moment (if that makes any sense?)

I talked last week about trying to eat a bit more on non-fast days and to be careful about being too careful. Clearly, the fact that I had an extra, accidental, fast day this week flies in the face of that a little bit. But I certainly didn’t feel deprived on the four normal days. There was a takeaway pizza one evening (with pizza leftovers for breakfast the following day), there was a meal out, a steak sandwich with a decent slather of blue cheese mayonnaise…

D and I have been having a Dry January which has, undoubtedly, also been a boost. I shudder to think of the number of calories that I am capable of taking in liquid form over the course of a weekend; they add up incredibly quickly. While I have no intention of staying dry once January is over, it has definitely inspired me to be more vigilant about the amount I have to drink as a general rule.

I’m also looking forward to getting started with the Couch to 5k – I’m going to hold off for another week or so to ensure my foot is absolutely fine, but it will be nice to get moving. And, once the weather picks up, D and I want to get out and do some walking which will be an additional boost. For now, it’s all about getting the food side of things right and, as the results above demonstrate, I think I’m on with that.

3 comments:

  1. I'm a running evangelist. You don't need to go fast to feel like you are running and it gives you such a feeling of "healthfulness"(which is not a word, I know) after the first few times. Do it do it do it!!

    Brilliant news on the weight loss but I'm sorry that tooth pain helped. I'm no stranger to tooth issues and have had a couple of root canals, one had to be re-done which was not fun so you have my deep sympathy. But better a root canal than tooth pain which is truly excruciating.

    You sound really positive and full of plans. It's great to hear.

    Lesley xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing you're having a tough time what with sore paw and poorly teeth as it's not like you to miss MPM. Hope we'll and that you're shrinking apace as over the last few weeks!! Lxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you for noticing my absence lovely! Finally got around to updating and the shrinkage, while slowing, continues. x

      Delete